Sustainable irrigation through alternate sources will have a direct positive impact on farmers and the economy of Morocco, Tunisia and other similar Mediterranean countries. This is at the core of SmaCuMed project and is achieved by permitting :
- Soil preservation and water productivity – by maintaining adequate balances of water and salts during the use of low-quality waters
- Integration of desalination and brine treatment into Mediterranean water management systems – by assessing their economic and environmental impacts with a regional perspective
- Improvement of soil and water management practices – by taking into account the regional variability of soils, water management schemes and groundwater quality
- Use of Solar energy – thereby reaching a very low CO2 footprint and enabling autonomy to cover the energy demand of the SmaCuMed cube
- Development of adaptation strategies – thereby improving crop productivity in relation to the effects of climate change
- Support of employability and economic empowerment – by building capacities of local professionals
- Preventing social conflicts in the use of water resources – by optimizing the management of low-quality water for irrigation
- Significant improvement in the social, economic and political conditions for Morocco’s women – by crop intensification of argan trees
SmaCuMed will empower local stakeholders in the agriculture sector by:
- Raising awareness on the critical relevance of environmental protection, food security, improved nutrition and promote sustainable agriculture.
- Taking urgent action to combat climate change and its impact.
- Providing an integral technical solution for more effective sustainable irrigation and agriculture.
- Translating the knowledge gained into economical benefit and job creation.
- Encouraging women to undertake a more active role in the agricultural sector.
SmaCuMed will directly contribute to achieving 6 out of the 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDG) set by the United Nations for a better and more sustainable future. These address the global challenges we face, including poverty, inequality, climate change, environmental degradation, peace and justice. Through SmaCuMed actions, 5 additional goals are addressed for a total of 11 SDGs.