Description of the organisation
Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences (HsKA) offers a professional academic education with more than 8,000 students and more than 200 professors (2019). The Centre of Applied Research (CAR) works to promote applied scientific research and development projects. As the center for academic network, CAR has excellent scientific know-how to carry out research projects in collaboration with business and industry. CAR is also well experienced in the management of several large scale EU research projects (FP7, LIFE, Asia Pro Eco, Horizon 2020 etc.). In 2017, CAR had a total turnover of >7 Mio Euro.
Prof. Dr. Jan Hoinkis (Verbundkoordinator)
Tel.: +49 (0)721 925 / 1372,
Prof. Dr. Jan Hoinkis conducted a doctorate in thermodynamics at the University of Karlsruhe, Germany (now Karlsruhe Institute of Technology) in 1989. After completion of his thesis he moved to the Swiss company Ciba-Geigy, where he was working as head of a R&D group on process development in the field of fine chemicals production with focus on environmentally friendly technologies. He has been working since 1996 as a professor at the Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences giving lectures in chemistry, thermodynamics as well as environmental process engineering. His R&D work is focused on water treatment and water reuse with special attention on membrane technologies. He was project coordinator of several national and international R&D projects. From 2008-2017 he was appointed Scientific Director of the Institute of Applied Research, which was the central research facility at the Karlsruhe University of Applied Sciences.
Contribution to the project
Besides being the overall coordinator of the project (with focus on the scientific and technological coordination, WP8), the long-time experience of HsKA in the field of brackish water treatment, sensor technology and renewable energy is invaluable for the project. HsKA focus mainly in Desalination lab trials with model brackish water in WP1 for selecting and integrating suitable CDI and RO systems.
HsKA will also be involved with sensor based control system with AQG in WP2 and also work with Raach Solar in WP3 for the development of PV+TEG technology for the innovative smart cube. Finally, HsKA will support the pilot phase of the SmaCuMed prototype along with UCA, MIU, AQG and Raach Solar.
- Abdel-Aal, E.A., Abdel-Ghafar, H.M., El-Sayed, D., El-Shazly, A.N., Hoinkis, J., Crystallisation study of reverse osmosis desalination scales at low salinity with and without inhibitor, Particulate Science and Technology 35 (2017) 749-754,
- Bouhadjar, S.I., Kopp, H., Britsch, P., Deowan, S.A., Hoinkis, J., Bundschuh, J., Solar powered nanofiltration for drinking water production from fluoride-containing groundwater – A pilot study towards developing a sustainableand low-cost treatment plant, J. Environ. Manage., 231 (2019) 1263-1269
- Schmidt, S.A., Gukelberger, E., Hermann, M., Fiedler, F., Großmann, B., Hoinkis, J., Gosh, A., Chatterjee, d:, Bundschuh, J., Pilot study on arsenic removal from groundwater using a small-scale reverse osmosis system – Towards sustainable drinking water production, J. Hazard. Mater., 318 (2016) 671-678
- Abdel-Aal, E.A., Abdel-Ghafar, H.M., El-Sayed, D., El-Shazly, A.N., Hoinkis, J., Crystallisation study of reverse osmosis desalination scales at low salinity with and without inhibitor, Particul. Sci. Technol. 35 (2017) 749-754, doi.org/10.1080/02726351.2016.1196278
- Luong, T.V., Canas Kurz, E., Hellriegel, U. Luu, T.L., Hoinkis, J., Bundschuh, J, Iron-based subsurface arsenic removal technologies by aeration: A review of the current state and future prospects, Water Res., 133 (2018) 110-122
- El-Abbassi, A., Kiai, H., Raiti, J., Hoinkis, J., Hafidi, A., Separation of natural monocyclic phenolics using micellar enhanced ultrafiltration with a cationic surfactant, Environ. Eng. Manag. J., Vol. 17, No.6 (2018) 1311-1319
- Bouhadjar, S.I., Kopp, H., Britsch, P., Deowan, S.A., Hoinkis, J., Bundschuh, J., Solar powered nanofiltration for drinking water production from fluoride-containing groundwater – A pilot study towards developing a sustainable and low-cost treatment plant, J. Environ. Manage., 231 (2019) 1263-1269
- Canas Kurz, E., Luong T.V., Hellriegel, U., Leidinger, F., Luu, T., Bundschuh, J., Hoinkis, J., Iron-based subsurface arsenic removal (SAR): Results of a long-term pilot-scale test in Vietnam, Water Res., 181 (2020) 115929
- Hellriegel, U., Canas Kurz, E.E., Luong T.V., Bundschuh, J., Hoinkis, J., Modular treatment of arsenic-laden brackish groundwater using solar-powered subsurface arsenic removal (SAR) and membrane capacitive deionzation (MCDI), J. Water Reuse Desal., accepted paper
- Canas Kurz, E.E., Hellriegel, U., Luong, T.V., Bundschuh, J., Hoinkis, J., Selective ion adsorption with pilot-scale membrane capacitive deionization (MCDI): arsenic, ammonium and manganese removal, Desalin. Water Treat., 198 (2020) 163-169
- Hellriegel U., Canas Kurz E., Molla, M.A.I., Islam R., Figoli A., Gabriele B., Hoinkis J., Energy efficient desalination with membrane capacitive deionization (MCDI), International Water Technology Journal, 10 (2020) 13-17